Author Topic: Buying watch as an investment?  (Read 6325 times)

Offline WatchGalaxyMelawatiMall

• Freshie
Buying watch as an investment?
« on: September 18, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
Hi all,

Share your thoughts on whether you buy watch for investment sake? Or do you buy it as a hobby?

Feel free to drop your comment here :)

Offline Yoda

Re: Buying watch as an investment?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
Dual purpose. To wear and to invest
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline mongourou

Buying watch as an investment?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Unless you manage to buy very limited editions of PP, AP or VC for example (in this case that it is certainly not your first watch from this brand as you're a most valued customer to them and you shouldn't worry too much about investment anymore), I wouldn't consider watch and investment in the same sentence.

To think your Rolex manufactured in the hundred of thousands (even in the 60's, 70's, 80's...) or limited Oris/Breitling/Omega/"insert the name of your selected brand here" edition will allow you to have a golden retirement is totally foolish to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:11:48 PM by mongourou »
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline asimo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
Watches never for investment ! Buy something that suits your lifestyle and wear it often ! I know people who buy lots of watches but all kept in a safe deposit box .:)

Life is short , we never know what will happen next :) just buy something u like and wear in good health ...

If the price of the watches u owned appreciate , then consider u strike a lottery or hit jackpot ! just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thickface

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
To me, buying watches for hobbies and if at the end of the road, you earn some; then it's a bonus. This is why I just buy those I like and not give in to temptations haha

Offline jayz1990

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
It is a hobby and not an investment. Unless you buy very desirable vintage watches of certain history and limited editions from the holy trinity. However this is difficult. Better off investing in other asset classes or FD with compounding returns. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline WatchW

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »

Its mainly an hobby.

But it can be between hobby and investment for some.

For example, the right Rolex model can yield 2-3% per annum.

It's like FD rates but you get to wear a watch.

On rainy days, it's common to find folks offloading their Rolex for cash.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Offline Keninshiro

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
Never an investment, or else I'll lose the love for the hobby. I buy a watch because I LIKE it, not because there's money to be made... unless that's the nature of my business, a watch dealer or side business to make extra cash.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:22 PM »
I think if u are go for financial returns purpose, the answer is a clear no. I believe if u have developed a taste for watches and you can afford them, with going into debt then start your collection slowly, and make sure your first mistakes are not expensive.

Offline lshinxl

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
I think it depends on what your definition of investment means. I believe that when you buy a watch, it should not be for the sole purpose of making money, cause you may get disappointed.

But i would say that buy a watch if you would want to wear what you love and at the same time have a bit of money parked there. Meaning, losing a bit of money from the initial price is ok to you. Ultimately, wearing and owning the watch should make you feel good regardless of whether it makes money or not.