Author Topic: Shops selling pre-owned watches.  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Danielo

Shops selling pre-owned watches.
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »
We all know who they are and where they are.
My question are:

1) how do they get authorised watches to sell as brand new watches? Are they getting them from ADs unofficially?
2) the watches all look like new. Safe to assume they have done some sort of polishing, touch ups on the watch?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline David_cheong

Re: Shops selling pre-owned watches.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
1) Most of the new watches are bought in by individual or runner/s (from overseas)
2) New watches that describe new / unworn have all their stickers intact.
3) If these stickers are removed and still declared new or unworn, walk away.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Danielo

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Isn't buying watches in Singapore and Malaysia being the cheapest  in the world due to them being tax-free (excluding GST)?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Isn't buying watches in Singapore and Malaysia being the cheapest  in the world due to them being tax-free (excluding GST)?

From what i understand from a friend who was in the business, there is a customer price and there is a dealer price. They would also claim the VAT for the pieces from overseas hence there is an extra margin there for these dealers. Unfortunately we may never know what the dealer price is.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Danielo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline WatchGalaxyMelawatiMall

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »
New watches mostly gained from runners or individuals who can source from oversea. As for pre-owned watches, they usually will polish it so it looks like brand new watches. Furthermore, most retailers label their watches if is new or pre-owned watches.

Offline Danielo

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
That's my concern right there.

Shops polishing a watch to make it look new again, but in doing so removes material off that watch, rounding off edges and chanfers, etc.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

From what i understand from a friend who was in the business, there is a customer price and there is a dealer price. They would also claim the VAT for the pieces from overseas hence there is an extra margin there for these dealers. Unfortunately we may never know what the dealer price is.

Dealer/s must always have a margin to play around with.
These margins cover the in house warranty period, insurance coverage, shop rentals and personnel salaries, etc.

For the would be seller, if you match your selling price to those shops price, then good luck to you.

IMO.To qualify as dealer status, you must own a shop. (watch-new or preowned)
Those without a base are called runners or half dealer. And this is the business scenario.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?