Author Topic: Anyone here use Dell XPS 13 before ?  (Read 8602 times)

Offline ViiiLaix

Anyone here use Dell XPS 13 before ?
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:39 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm looking forward to purchase a new laptop for myself, as my 2012 MB Pro begs to be rested, preferably in peace. It's completely understood as I'm already using it for almost 6 years -- definitely a workhorse that get things done, but the horse getting old, muscle is getting tense and running becoming slower and slower each day.

As the widely spread phenomenon as an Apple user, I am bit of skeptical of changing to another brand (Yea, put Apple to blame to set a high switching cost on me).

From my research, found out that Dell XPS 13 offers the value for money. I love the infinity screen and QHD display, the specs and also the price are friendly (compared to the new ridicule Apple laptop price with a stingy usb slot). However, from what I read online, Dell XPS 13 (9360) seems to be infested by these two issues:
- Screen Flickering
- Loud Coil Whine

If these two syndrome has not existed, I will definitely bought it already.

So, anyone here using Dell XPS 13 facing these issues? How was your thought on that?
The reason I asked because people tend to complain bad things online, where the good thing about the laptop easily forgotten. When you google it, everything bad comes out first which deteriorate the intention of purchase for potential buyers just like me.

I just hoping to made a good decision before spending 6K on a laptop and if it's not good in the end, ended up selling it for a big big losses.

Your kind advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chenht

Re: Anyone here use Dell XPS 13 before ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »
I used MB Pro and Dell XPS before and I think MB Pro is till a lot more superior than the DELL. I am using MB Pro now and I think I will stick with MB Pro for a while. Quality wise, DELL is no match.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:48:46 AM by chenht »
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
I was a staunch MS user, and had the highest-range XPS previously. However, after 2 instances of problems (probably due to my many travels), which were repaired under warranty, I decided to go with MB Pro as my spouse was always full of praise for her Apple products. Fast forward a few years, and I am still a happy MB Pro user and (touch wood), it has travelled extensively with me to both posh and harsh environments; and it just keeps on ticking even though there has been many a licking.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Seems like it's a clear cut that MB Pro is the winner here; in terms of durability and reliability.

I am looking between the MB 12" inch or Dell XPS 13 for travelling purpose as well. Seems like I'll be going with the MB 12 inch.

Too bad, I really liked Dell.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Definitely won't go wrong with the MB choice  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline squasub

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
Seems like it's a clear cut that MB Pro is the winner here; in terms of durability and reliability.

I am looking between the MB 12" inch or Dell XPS 13 for travelling purpose as well. Seems like I'll be going with the MB 12 inch.

Too bad, I really liked Dell.

why dont u find a good used MB pro? worry about the warranty etc?

Offline Canook

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
Ive got the XPS 13 core i7 8gb touchscreen with upgraded 500gb ssd and i cannot fault it.... ive used it almost everyday as a work computer for the last year and a half without a single issue... it travels with me every month when i have to go to Indo or Thailand for work.
Im in construction so it gets used in a dirty dusty enviroment and still keeps ticking.....

I honestly cannot fault it other then it needs more USB slots (its only got 2  and 1 is a usb-3)

ive also got a MBP(full spec) at home and its just too heavy to carry around and i just cannot get my head around the apple software as im a MS user all the way... good computer but i still rather my Dell

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
I bought Dell XPS 13 with touch screen, etc... about a year ago. (Very Expensive LabTop and ranked very high)

I also have a MacBook Air. Both running on I7 chips, 8GB RAM(XPS RAM maybe higer, I forgot) and SSD.

I certainly prefer the operation smoothness of my apple Macbook Air, than the XPS.

The MB's touch pad, (to control cursor's movement) is very, very hard to beat. I love it the most (very much), Thank you Apple. This alone, MB scores 9/10, XPS scores 3/10

In term of clashes, XPS lose out immediately, out of the box.

My XPS clashed and needed board replacement just days after arrival.

I bought XPS for office use. It is more expensive than my MacBook Air, but worth less than my MB.

I will sell mine, if price is right.  :Blue:

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
Seems like all the advices against going for Dell. I've also got many horror stories from my peers that are using it as well.

As the quality seems far from what Apple could offered.

In the mean time, I've decided to just upgrade my MB pro to give it a new life. After done my research, I found out that my MB pro is using RPM hard-drive that caused it to be slower. If upgraded to SSD, definitely the performance will improve.

Have anybody here upgraded their MB pro?

Offline danslater

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
use HP elitebook quite decent
In the pursuit of happiness, in form and function

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
the common comparison / argument between Windows Based Laptop vs Mac is the Price vs Specs ratio.

and 99% a Mac will lose out on Specs, because Windows Specs always higher and cheaper.

however people tend to forget to put in another perspective which is the build materials and reliability issues.

a Mac will be forever more expensive and lower specs than a Windows laptop because a Mac is build with a mono block of Aluminium and a really good display screen.

Windows laptop mostly is from plastics and low resolution screen, the only selling point of a Windows laptop is processor speed, higher ram, bigger hard disk and of course more pirated games to play with.

those who never try a Mac can't justify the high price and lower specs, but in return you get a really well build piece of gear.

those who used both Mac and Windows, deep down inside they know in fact Mac is a good and reliable but f**king Expensive only.

I've used Acer, Asus, HP, Toshiba, Thinkpad and of course a MacBook Pro.

All gone, left only the Thinkpad and MacBook Pro.   

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:09 AM »
Seems like all the advices against going for Dell. I've also got many horror stories from my peers that are using it as well.

As the quality seems far from what Apple could offered.

In the mean time, I've decided to just upgrade my MB pro to give it a new life. After done my research, I found out that my MB pro is using RPM hard-drive that caused it to be slower. If upgraded to SSD, definitely the performance will improve.

Have anybody here upgraded their MB pro?

yes, I upgraded my MB Pro to an Intel SSD, the initial choice was Samsung EVO but no stocks during my upgrade time and butt itchy cannot wait for the EVO.

Offline JimmyZabe

Anyone here use Dell XPS 13 before
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
Dell blows, but what strikes me here is the poor deliverance on Sonys side.

Anyways, Toshiba > .
I trust this robot trading software for profitable investments

Offline saprozeldo

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
Used xps when first came out w solid state.. then moved to mb pro.. now on my 2nd mb pro..

But it sucks.. the usbc even with 4 of them still needs a converter for normal usb.. no touch screen.. just that slider bit which the application is limited..

But too late to go back to xps now.. gotta live with it..

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk