Author Topic: watch winder  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Afham07

watch winder
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
dear all,

i am looking for a watch winder and from my survey, it has so many type .. does the way it operates affect the watch lifespan?

from my survey it has as low as rm200-300 all the way to thousands .. there also have some modes:

Mode 1 : Rotate 2 minutes clockwise . Rest for 6 minutes . Repeat
Mode 2 : Rotate 2 minutes counter-clockwise . Rest for 6 minutes . Repeat
Mode 3 : Rotate 2 minutes clockwise . Rest for 6 minutes . Rotate 2 minutes counter clockwise . Rest for 6 minutes . Repeat
Mode 4 : Rotate 5 minutes clockwise . Rotate 5 minutes counter clockwise . Repeat for 3 hours . Rest for 9 hours . Repeat

what does this means?

Offline mongourou

Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline TheWatchCollector

• Freshie
Re: watch winder
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »
Before you rush out and buy one, some food for thought.

I asked a Watch distributor friend what he thought of Watch winders.

His response? 'Would you buy a Ferrari and leave the engine running all day when you weren't using it?'

I said I didn't quite understand his meaning. 'They wear out your watch quicker as they are constantly running, you would need to service them more frequently to compensate, and besides, Rolex don't make watchwinders, obviously they would if they were a good idea!"

That was 6 years ago, I've owned many watches. Never owned a Watch winder!

Offline mongourou

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
I have bought a Spin-R for RM600 in KL (very good quality) and used it for two months on few watches to keep them running. Then I realized that this was useless to me. I let the watches run down and re-set hands/date when needed which might take me 30sec max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ymchow

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
I have bought a Spin-R for RM600 in KL (very good quality) and used it for two months on few watches to keep them running. Then I realized that this was useless to me. I let the watches run down and re-set hands/date when needed which might take me 30sec max.

me too, i just keep in drawer and re-adjust it when i wanna to wear it.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Watch winder is only needed when you having an annual or perpetual calendar watch. My 0.02.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
My Dad was a watchsmith; and his take on my using the winder was that it would be more of a convenience (pick and go any pieces, no need to adjust time, everytime) although the other shops told me that it would help to prevent the oil in the movements from hardening up over time, among others. I do like the convenience of just picking any piece in there and making for the door  :thumbs: It's all up to the TS' preference really.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline nivek

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
The lubricants used today would be far superior than those used in the old days where they would harden. Pretty sure those used today are synthetic or silicon based, so no chance of it ever drying or hardening.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »
The lubricants used today would be far superior than those used in the old days where they would harden. Pretty sure those used today are synthetic or silicon based, so no chance of it ever drying or hardening.

I am absolutely with you on this. All the recent oil, sealants and lubricants from brand like Moebius from high to low viscosity have no chance to harden even if your watches are not ticking.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
Don't see a need to have it, perhaps for exhibition purpose or less hassle on regular winding.

Offline kamilnu

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
I would get a watch winder only if i have a couple of perpetual calenders in my collection. Other than that, not much justification

Offline mongourou

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »
I would get a watch winder only if i have a couple of perpetual calenders in my collection. Other than that, not much justification
I'm wondering how long it takes to set up a perpetual calendar with moon phase.

Offline jmur3

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »
would the unscrewing the crown and screwing it back each time after you wind and set the time increases the chances of you miss the thread while screwing it back?
just wondering....
i haven't used a winder yet, still contemplating on this too..
thanks

Offline lshinxl

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
I've been in the watch winding business for a couple of years now so I'll try be as objective as possible.

Personally I think it's very debatable in terms of whether a watch winder is a necessity or not. Everyone will have a view on it and to prove it scientifically I think would require a lot of time. Even that, I personally feel it doesn't contribute enough to cause any significant wear and tear on the watch movement. I do agree that it does help in terms of convenience though. Especially when there is a date function, not to even mention annual/perpetual calendars. And it does look good too. So it varies for every individual in terms of its necessity.

In regards to turn settings, there are a couple of different programs in the market. Minus the expensive German brands, the remaining tend to revolve around the same group of settings. There are those as you speak of, which doesn't rest and rotates based on those mini cycles for en entire day. This would give about 3000+ turns per day (TPD). Which is much more than you need for the normal watch of today's time (600-900TPD). Then there are those that you can vary, 650, 750, 850 TPD etc. These kinds give stronger control in the winding of individual watches. It'll be regulated via turn cycles and rest cycles. So you may see your winder running non stop for 6 hours and resting entirely for the next 6 etc. Again, this is subject to individual, where they feel watches may incur more wear and tear without controlled turn settings.

Hope this helps.

Offline Clicko

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »
Watch winders are for personal preference and convenience. I have couple of them running with 3 adjustable settings to suit different watch movements. It runs for 2min and repeat every hour. Sometimes you need a particular watch and you know its alive, so just take and go.

Offline phat7

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »
I personally love my winder. I have my annual calendars on them now and I don't have to go mucking aroun with adjusting day and month and moonphase every time I want to wear them.