Author Topic: Wearing gold watches in Malaysia!  (Read 14025 times)

Offline theseira

Wearing gold watches in Malaysia!
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
Hi guys

I have been out of the country for awhile and heard some lots of bad stories from my friends. Anyway if you own a blingy piece like a gold rolex GMT IIc how do you wear it in Malaysia without getting mugged or without losing your arm?

For owners of gold pieces do you feel fearful when your out in the public with your gold wristwatch?

What about steel watches. Is it safe to wear? I remember when I was back in Malacca and wearing my Daytona I didn't have any problems.

Do robbers target certain brands? maybe if you wear rolex chances of getting mugged is higher then wearing a patek?

Whats the situation like out there?

Offline dpkong

Re: Wearing gold watches in Malaysia!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
Be extremely aware of your surroundings and the people around you is the first step of self-protection.

I've seen too many people walking around in KL busy looking at their handphones or chatting with friends, so much so that they'll even bump into you and some even completely unaware there is someone right behind them (me trying to 'overtake' a slow walker).

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
I think this comes down to common sense.

Petty theft and mugging is not exclusive to Malaysia. Even in the safest cities in the world, one should avoid dodgy places. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that taking short cuts in dark alleys is a good way to invite trouble.

Gold watches or not, just practice the same precaution from wherever you're coming from and I think you'll survive.

Offline nye79

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
Aniting flashy may fishing unwanted approach by robber..worst enuf if it was bcoz fake gold watch!

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 06:28:32 AM »
It depends where u r i guess. I will not even wear a watch if i have to walk around the city centre. I have heard too many horror stories

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:24:01 AM »
i been wearing different type of watches, from rolex, pam, iwc... to seiko to homage....

Everyday i drive, walking around the town, from main to to side and back lane!

i been very alert all the time, walking fast as i always do.... touch wood, no problem so far !

for the past 20 yrs

i stay at Sekudai, Tampoi, Pandan Indah, Bdr Sri Permaisuri, Kajang,
working area around JB, Skudai, Perling, Nusajaya, Pandan Indah, Kajang, Banting, BB Bangi, Sungai Buloh, Kota Damansara, PJ State,  Bukit Tinggi Klang, Semenyih, Bukit bintang, Mahkota Cheras, Bkt Mahkota........ almost everywhere in Klang Valley except the Kuala Selangor area.

so Thank you Mummy, gave me a pair of fast leg !

after all, BE ALERT is the KEY
the way you hold your back, alert to bike sound, alert all round coming out from bank, walk fast!

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »
A pair of fast & furious legs sounds interesting....i may need to get myself a roller skates! Can use it as 'side kick' weapon as well  :thumbsup:
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline the-lume

• Mmmm, watches...
    • The Lume
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »
I have this crazy idea that one little tip you could try to look a little less tempting to any watch-hunting criminals is to put on a NATO/ZULU strap instead of wearing leather or a bracelet (especially two-tone/solid gold!)
Current favorite: Orient Bambino rose-gold and white (gift from girlfriend!)

Offline el118

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
i been wearing different type of watches, from rolex, pam, iwc... to seiko to homage....

i been very alert all the time, walking fast as i always do.... touch wood, no problem so far !

for the past 20 yrs

working area around JB, Skudai, Perling, Nusajaya, Pandan Indah, Kajang, Banting, BB Bangi, Sungai Buloh, Kota Damansara, PJ State,  Bukit Tinggi Klang, Semenyih, Bukit bintang, Mahkota Cheras, Bkt Mahkota........ almost everywhere in Klang Valley except the Kuala Selangor area.

the way you hold your back, alert to bike sound, alert all round coming out from bank, walk fast!

What if one get cornered in a restaurant, like that happened at Cheras steamboat last year? ;)

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Thats why wearin seiko makes me feel safer. Though i will be sad if my seiko get taken.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

for the past 20 yrs

What if one get cornered in a restaurant, like that happened at Cheras steamboat last year? ;)

After that, you'd have a good excuse to apply for a carry permit....  ;)

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Not easy to apply a carry permit. I tried! But then i am a nobody... Different story if u r somebody tho.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

for the past 20 yrs

I visited that restaurant 2 weeks b4 the incident...

Lucky me!

But if Bcoz a restaurant been robbed b4, r u not going to wear ur watch to eat at restaurant?

I had dinner at a restaurant next to that, having my lovely breakfast once a week...
In tayton view garden, either the 3 famous fishball noodle, Lai Fung beef noodle or lum gee ban min
All located less than a km
I also eating ard Tmn segar ...

Offline Jarod200

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Top 3 reasons why i don't wanna own a gold watch ;D

1) Too worried about getting robbed to enjoy anything else

2) Cause of that, the watch will have to live in my box most of the time

3)Dont get to enjoy the watch after paying tons for it

Btw to date i have never seem anyone wear a gold watch in public except for functions.

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year

Offline el118

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »

Btw to date i have never seem anyone wear a gold watch in public except for functions.

Some hide it under their sleeve.

Some wear white gold that could be mistaken as SS.

Some you did not notice.

Some are too old to be in your social group;D

Offline theseira

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

Some hide it under their sleeve.

Some wear white gold that could be mistaken as SS.

Some you did not notice.

Some are too old to be in your social group;D

Makes sense! El

what about your sexy Lange! is it safe to wear that in Malaysia?

Offline el118

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
I wear to office often. when out of office normally hide under the sleeve. Nevertheless i think it is safer than wearing a Gold Rolex. ;)

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
I wear to office often. when out of office normally hide under the sleeve. Nevertheless i think it is safer than wearing a Gold Rolex. ;)

Hey Eric,

Mind telling me the route you often take to your office, your car number plate and model, and also the time of your travel? I hope you pass through some remote and secluded areas as well :Praying:... ::)

Offline Conscript

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
 :Startled:

Offline el118

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »

Hey Eric,

Mind telling me the route you often take to your office, your car number plate and model, and also the time of your travel? I hope you pass through some remote and secluded areas as well :Praying:... ::)

Hi Bro,
My house to my office is just 10 min away. ( within 10 km). I park my car rite in front of my factory with double gate and a guard on duty. I normally go back home for lunch and seldom eat outside. If occasionally i have to eat outside and if i was wearing expensive watch, i would go to a nearby shopping mall for meal instead of normal coffee shop by road side. I wear long sleeve daily so not many people get to see my watch. So in a way minimising the risk ;)

the best chance would be when i step down from my car to buy breakfast for my family. ;D (but depends on your luch you may end up with a Tissot) :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »

Hey Eric,

Hi Bro,
My house to my office is just 10 min away. ( within 10 km). I park my car rite in front of my factory with double gate and a guard on duty. I normally go back home for lunch and seldom eat outside. If occasionally i have to eat outside and if i was wearing expensive watch, i would go to a nearby shopping mall for meal instead of normal coffee shop by road side. I wear long sleeve daily so not many people get to see my watch. So in a way minimising the risk ;)

the best chance would be when i step down from my car to buy breakfast for my family. ;D (but depends on your luch you may end up with a Tissot) :Laughing_on_floor:

Hmmmm........Or maybe when you are all alone in the toilet of your factory "doing your business"..... ;D

Offline el118

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »

Hey Eric,

Hi Bro,

Hmmmm........Or maybe when you are all alone in the toilet of your factory "doing your business"..... ;D

Yeah, another dangerous area, i normally do not lock the toilet door... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline harkensng

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »
Yes...the toilet can be the most dangerous place.... :Blue: I got robbed many years ago when I am a student in a shopping mall toilet in jb :Blue:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Yes...the toilet can be the most dangerous place.... :Blue: I got robbed many years ago when I am a student in a shopping mall toilet in jb :Blue:

Getting robbed of your watch in a toilet is the least of your worries when your pants are down.....

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »

Getting robbed of your watch in a toilet is the least of your worries when your pants are down.....

:Laughing_on_floor:

I ll ask the fella to wait till i m done then he can have the watch  :-X