Author Topic: Why Rolex ? Share your thoughts !  (Read 66877 times)

Offline Enkidu

Re: Why Rolex ? Share your thoughts !
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
That is why I dun believe you can buy your way to an aircraft to fly to Tibet with a Mark VI. A gold DD yes, but an IWC, no.  :laugh:

Chris, what underground people???

Dai gor buy it, when need to put on wear grass, it's useful Bcoz it's liquid

...and on the subject of Tibet..

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/dalai-lama-rolex-keeping-time-of-his.html

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 06:00:54 AM »
somewhere 2010-2011, joined MWf
somewhere 2011-2012, kena poison on Omega, Pam and IWC. sent around 10 pms to different taikohs here asking for opinion..the usual IWC vs Panerai vs Omega type of question...
all came back with same answer...go Rolex first..IWC is nice, Panerai is full of history, Omega is quality, blah blah...but get a Rolex first...
I started looking closer at what's all this Rolex madness is all about....
The rest is history....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:08:38 AM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 06:20:59 AM »
Interesting. I avoided Rolex and Panerai like a plague until recently.

My problem was I don't see anything interesting on the modern model. When the madness of overinflated price cool down in 2009 I half lie to myself and bought a Milgauss at retail. That was the first and last modern Rolex I ever bought.

Most of the stuff I like are from the past. LOL maybe I'm getting old.

Regard
Tyler

somewhere 2011-2012, kena poison on Omega, Pam and IWC. sent around 10 pms to different taikohs here asking for opinion..the usual IWC vs Panerai vs Omega type of question...
all came back with same answer...go Rolex first..IWC is nice, Panerai is full of history, Omega is quality, blah blah...but get a Rolex first...
The rest is history....

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »

My problem was I don't see anything interesting on the modern model. When the madness of overinflated price cool down in 2009 I half lie to myself and bought a Milgauss at retail. That was the first and last modern Rolex I ever bought.

Regard
Tyler

The rest is history....

hehehe..I still remember your evil 666 post....that's a nice piece...tdial 16600 was it?
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »
Love ur Vintage applied Omani crest dialed day-date
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:50:57 AM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »

Regard
Tyler

The rest is history....

hehehe..I still remember your evil 666 post....that's a nice piece...tdial 16600 was it?

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
Chris, what underground people???

Dai gor buy it, when need to put on wear grass, it's useful Bcoz it's liquid

Chris, I understand "smoke grass" but "wear grass"? 

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
If you ain't canto beng like me, you won't understand the lingo  :laugh:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
Tyler,
Looks like we have the same view..esp on the older vintage Rolex's.
I miss my previous 16600 SD though....
I also had a pepsi GMT II but honestly I don't miss it one bit and am trying hard to understand the current hoohah..

My comments from an old topic...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,6820.msg69411/topicseen.html#msg69411

Ohhh I forgot to add something that has always impressed me about Rolex... its 904L steel..
I just love the quality of their steel and wonder why no one else follows...anyone can enlighten me?

Regard
Tyler

The rest is history....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:03:33 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
Tyler,
Looks like we have the same view..esp on the older vintage Rolex's.
I miss my previous 16600 SD though....
I also had a pepsi GMT II but honestly I don't miss it one bit and can't understand the current hoohah..

My comments from an old topic...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,6820.msg69411/topicseen.html#msg69411

Regard
Tyler

The rest is history....
Wow! I am in full agreement with your comments on the brand in the older thread.  I could not have expressed it any better than you did!  :Cheers:

Offline el118

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Rolex is the super heavy weight in the watch industry. like it or not it is the undisputable most well-known luxury watch. but like a double sided sword, due to its over-popularity, many watch enthusiast find it "too common" with its mass produced product, and started to opt for other more sophisticated and exclusive "hand made" pieces...

Whether hand made is better than mass production, is another question.

Offline latuktua

• Freshie
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
My only thought is where is the thread starter??hit n run? :HammerHead:

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Rolex is the super heavy weight in the watch industry. like it or not it is the undisputable most well-known luxury watch. but like a double sided sword, due to its over-popularity, many watch enthusiast find it "too common" with its mass produced product, and started to opt for other more sophisticated and exclusive "hand made" pieces...

Agree, they are big in many ways. Below is a link to a survey on the most valuable Swiss Brand (in terms of market worth)
http://www.persoenlich.com/news/marketing/bv4-die-20-wertvollsten-schweizer-uhrenmarken-310935#.UonY0MRmhca

JOS2012 previous post in the other thread sums up all the reason why I'm not wearing one. No doubt Rolex does great watches and one can't go wrong in choosing any of the models/range. I just want to reduce the chance of walking into a meeting room wearing a similar watch to the next person.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
Then u must be driving something very unique and dresses like the male version of Gaga  or else you'll just be a plebeian like the rest of the population.

Agree, they are big in many ways. Below is a link to a survey on the most valuable Swiss Brand (in terms of market worth)
http://www.persoenlich.com/news/marketing/bv4-die-20-wertvollsten-schweizer-uhrenmarken-310935#.UonY0MRmhca

JOS2012 previous post in the other thread sums up all the reason why I'm not wearing one. No doubt Rolex does great watches and one can't go wrong in choosing any of the models/range. I just want to reduce the chance of walking into a meeting room wearing a similar watch to the next person.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »
Then u must be driving something very unique and dresses like the male version of Gaga  or else you'll just be a plebeian like the rest of the population.

Tsk, you see, that's where you got it wrong. Watches in many ways are like underwear. You don't openly show it around, but sometimes you get a glimpse of it (chao gong), and you only share your opinions on it with someone close enough or has similar fetish interest. So obviously, one would feel more unique wearing something less common or more exotic (interchangeable with erotic in some cases). On the outside, you should normally blend in just like anyone else...

It's all about context...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:11:30 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
 :Laughing_on_floor:
When I posted my original thread in 2012, I suspected that something of this sort of exchange might arise, hence I tried to choose my words with some modicum of caution to avoid it blowing up in my face..apparently it wasn't precise enough.. :laugh:
I should have added in another disclaimer that whatever I said was purely my own opinion and not factual. Hence it is open to any challenge.

To anyone who has taken offence... you have my apologies...
It did however take almost a year for this to crop up... :laugh:

<< my original post in 2012 below>> (the controversial issue now in BOLD)
One may double check whether I quoted my original posting correctly and in its entirety  ;)

I'd like to be clear that I'm not taking sides but just an observation here..

Exclusivity as with other things is always relative..  ;)
200 units of a certain auto marque versus 40,000 of another sold per year, can be considered relatively exclusive..

A bespoke shirt that is tailored from the material available to anyone walking into the tailor is still relatively exclusive when compared to a shirt made in the thousands by a sweatshop and bought at a night market.

I don't think that I used the word 'one of a kind" rather it was 'exclusivity...
Again our interpretations may differ and its perfectly ok..

To be fair however, sidestreaker did in fact say 'reduce' not completely avoid..

Anyhow I think we should all look at the big picture here and take this as purely a discussion and an exchange of opinions, not of absolute fact..
Its only a watch and a hobby...so let's all chill... :Cheers:

In closing, although I currently do not have any Rollie left, I'm in fact looking to buy back a 16600 or even better, a 16660 provided it's in mint condition and at fair market value..
In its own way its still relatively exclusive... model wise if not brand wise... :Laughing_on_floor:
Did I just create another controversial topic here again.. let the debate begin... :Cheers:

<<As we all know luxury watches are beyond telling time, instead they are an extension of your personality something like the luxury car you drive or a bespoke suit you wear. When one uses a luxury item it is partly the exclusivity ( this is of course again relative) that adds value or if you like , the snob appeal which is part of owning luxurious goods besides the inherent quality and refinement of the product.>>

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:54:40 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
Exclusivity comes with money.
Unfortunately, those like me with limited amount to spend will have to settle for mass produced luxury goods.
I will leave the ultra high end luxury to those that have a bank account to support such purchases.

As to the question of why Rolex, I guess Chris and DC have hit the spot.

The 1st watch I got for my dad is a Victorinox.
He was ok with it.
I got him an Omega next.
He was ok with it too.
Then when I got him a Rolex.
He said to me... enough son... this is enough for me.

1st watch I got for my mom is a Longines.
She was ok with it.
When asked what she wants if I can really afford one later on?
She said I want a Rolex.

1st watch I got for my wife is a Fossil.
She was ok with it.
Then I got her a Mido Belluna.
She was ok with it too.
When it comes to our 10th year anniversary.
I asked her what she wants.
She said I want a Rolex.

People who know about watches know Rolex.
People who have no clue about watches also know Rolex.

Wether the public perception see Rolex as something to show off or whatnot doesn't matter.
The Rolex brand name is already well known as the de facto luxury watch brand.
It would of course suck if Rolex watches are lousy, but they are exceptionally well made reliable.
So there is merit there.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline swleong

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »

Tsk, you see, that's where you got it wrong. Watches in many ways are like underwear. You don't openly show it around, but sometimes you get a glimpse of it (chao gong), and you only share your opinions on it with someone close enough or has similar fetish interest. So obviously, one would feel more unique wearing something less common or more exotic (interchangeable with erotic in some cases). On the outside, you should normally blend in just like anyone else...

It's all about context...

OMG, I got your point on the exclusiveness of watch and it should be stealth to general public, but I almost fell off my chair when I read this interesting analogy of watch with underwear....

Now imagine MWF become MUF, and the 'what is wrapping your d*ck today' thread.... :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:59:13 PM by swleong »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Just occurred to me that I may have to change my vote for 'Thread of the Year' to this from that other 'P' thread.. :Laughing_on_floor:
1.5 months to go, its close... :Dancing_banana:

Offline latuktua

• Freshie
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
Exclusivity comes with money.
Unfortunately, those like me with limited amount to spend will have to settle for mass produced luxury goods.
I will leave the ultra high end luxury to those that have a bank account to support such purchases.

As to the question of why Rolex, I guess Chris and DC have hit the spot.

The 1st watch I got for my dad is a Victorinox.
He was ok with it.
I got him an Omega next.
He was ok with it too.
Then when I got him a Rolex.
He said to me... enough son... this is enough for me.

1st watch I got for my mom is a Longines.
She was ok with it.
When asked what she wants if I can really afford one later on?
She said I want a Rolex.

1st watch I got for my wife is a Fossil.
She was ok with it.
Then I got her a Mido Belluna.
She was ok with it too.
When it comes to our 10th year anniversary.
I asked her what she wants.
She said I want a Rolex.

People who know about watches know Rolex.
People who have no clue about watches also know Rolex.

Wether the public perception see Rolex as something to show off or whatnot doesn't matter.
The Rolex brand name is already well known as the de facto luxury watch brand.
It would of course suck if Rolex watches are lousy, but they are exceptionally well made reliable.
So there is merit there.

Good one hans...lovely said
And people who have no clue about watches think that rolex is the most luxury,prestige and expensive watch in the world.....me too b4 i joined mwf..hahaha :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

OMG, I got your point on the exclusiveness of watch and it should be stealth to general public, but I almost fell off my chair when I read this interesting analogy of watch with underwear....

Now imagine MWF become MUF, and the 'what is wrapping your d*ck today' thread.... :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

You have no idea how that analogy can go further.

I mean, ask any lingerie salesperson, it is what makes you feel sexy at the end of the day. How many times you hear an enthusiast says ‘wear what turns you on’. Don’t even get me started on how much a decent lady can spend on undergarment nowadays, and how often does that those get to see sunlight? See where I’m going with this? The best watchmaker and lingerie designers are also men by the way.

However, as I am typing this, I just realize that my analogy has its limitation as I’m unsure how to carry on when it comes to complication.  Unlike watches, complications and knickers does not go well together. Trust me, don't even think of trying .....

Hence I will just limit the analogy to 3 hand watches, after all, we gents wear our briefs to carry our third ‘leg’. Which hand that would represents it, I’ll leave it to you. Some prefer fast like the second hand, some prefer slower like the hour hand (no pun intended on the length). So as long as we come on time… to our appointments, I mean.

My friends, after typing this I may risk getting my account banned  for the contents above, hijacking this thread or more importantly if I have offended any Rolex lovers, I humbly apologize from the BOTTOM of my heart . In my defense, I was not told that this is any way a family oriented forum...  If you don’t see me anymore, I promise to reincarnate myself in another form, maybe wearing a Rolex this time...

But seriously, I'm only just one of those people who doesn't 'get it', over time, maybe my opinions will change. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:40:03 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
Gosh! I am sorry and would like to apologise to everyone here.

My earlier comments may have been misconstrued with the absence of smiley emoticons and makes me look like a rolex "fanboy" who takes offense to every comment about the brand.

On the contrary, if you scroll back to the earlier pages of the thread, I am in no way defending the brand and abhors the notion that most ppl think the crown is the end all of a "worthy" watch collection.

Wear what you like cause at the end of the day, a watch is just pair of underwear. A cheap Y front does as good as a job as a pair of Calvin boxer briefs. Some ppl like to wear it as it is while others choose to enhance their strength by having it around their face.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
Terrence
U look good in the pic...
Fishnets does wonders for ur legs ;D
Looking forward to see u in MWF 5th Ann
Hopefully sidestreaker turns up n we'll all have a good laugh
I'll bring some whisky to chill

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Thanks, I know. Everyone says so too ..... :laugh:

Terrence
U look good in the pic...
Fishnets does wonders for ur legs ;D
Looking forward to see u in MWF 5th Ann
Hopefully sidestreaker turns up n we'll all have a good laugh
I'll bring some whisky to chill

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »
I guess owning a Rolex is like owning a BMW or Benz, is common but not everyone has it and yet one must at least owned a BMW or Benz before venturing into Jaguar, Porsche, Ferrari and the list goes on...

As for Grand Seiko, is like Lexus, well built and rival the Germans however people still perceived as a Toyota.