Author Topic: URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED: AUDI repair workshop in Ipoh  (Read 7634 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED: AUDI repair workshop in Ipoh
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
Hi,
 this is a distress call. Need help immediately today.
Does anyone from Ipoh or an Audi user know of any workshop in Ipoh that can repair an Audi.
There is no official authorized 3S dealer here.
Thanks..
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dpkong

Re: URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED: AUDI repair workshop in Ipoh
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
What happened?

Can't help but curious to know. If it's a breakdown, can't you call your insurance provider and get a towing service?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »
Its ok. Back in KL already.
Must have been a momentary electronic glitch.
Never happened before in all these years of ownership...absolutely reliable.

A few kms approaching my destination yesterday afternoon, the engine suddenly sounded a bit rougher unlike its normal turbine smooth self and the engine revs were dropping.
Had to shift to S(sport) mode to continue journey otherwise revs were fluctuating.
Upon arriving at destination, shut it down.
Went out in another car to scout for workshops but being a Sun, none open and no Audi authorized workshop available except in KL, JB, Penang..

Abt half hour later restarted the car. It was back to normal.
Drove it around last night and early this morning. Normal and no sign of the earlier gremlins.
So drove back to KL. Everything fine so far but will send in this Sat for full plug-in diagnostics check.

So what's your take on it, Donald..

Would have had to have it transported back to KL on a carrier but the cost would be equivalent to a JLC maintenance service cost. Insurance covers partial not full, if I'm not wrong. Never had any experience in my >30 yrs driving of having to tow or transport my car back to KL from outstation. Luckily there was no need at the end.

What happened?

Can't help but curious to know. If it's a breakdown, can't you call your insurance provider and get a towing service?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:49:02 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
Glad to hear you are back safely. Audi car is relatively new in Malaysia that not many mechanics know how to deal with it compared to Mercedes and BMW. do you face any spare parts problem so far?

My co has booked a new Audi A6 hybrid (first Audi in our family history). m a bit worry about the maintenance too.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »
Nowadays, cars with complicated ECU and many sensors can create havoc to the driving experience. Likely a sensor glitch causing the ECU to go into counter-measures mode.

Had a friend's Audi which refused to start after the car was left idle and the battery went flat. Putting in a new battery did no good and the car needed a complete ECU reset to work.

Best have the car looked at by a competent Audi mechanic with the proper diagnostics tools. Forget about those cheap workshops where some guy comes along, plugs in some "compatible" tool, vroom-vroom your engine and then gives you a thumbs-up and tells you "best liao.. all OK now"...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Oh.. anyway, just a guess from your symptoms and without knowing which model, I would suggest you pay attention to at least

1. air flow sensor
2. fuel sensor
3. CO2 sensor (emissions control)
4. ignition systems

There may be more but those would be the ones most likely due to our poor fuel and air quality.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:31:09 PM by dpkong »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
As far as the battery is concerned, its clearly mentioned in the manual that the ECU needs to be re-set after a battery is disconnected or changed. Whenever anything electrical/electronic is being worked on, they have to disconnect the battery to avoid a power surge and shorting any of the sensors. Upon reconnection, the ECU needs a hard reset. Your friend obviously didn't read it and wasn't aware. The downside is only the authorised Audi workshop has the tool.

It was the same with my previous car, an Alfa. The computerised diagnostics adjusts the tolerance of the shiftronic change up/down times, variable valve settings, even the variance of the low/high beam settings, etc. But at least there are several indie workshops in KL with those analytics as they cost lesser, abt RM20K-30K per diagnostic tool.

In many of today's hi-tech autos, whenever you change the battery, the ECU needs to be reset as there are sensors all over the car for the ESP, ABS, EBC, multi-air bags, separate climate controls, etc

Of coz I'm sending it in to 'The Hangar' as Audi calls the workshop, for a full diagnostic check with the proprietary diagnostic tools.
Initially I suspected the plugs or ignition coils or poor fuel quality when I last topped up. Your suggestions are however noted.

I always find it quite interesting to watch the diagnostic tool at work when I used to hang out at the Alfa and Audi workshop whenever my car was being serviced.
It can detect, diagnose, re-set virtually everything that has a electrical or electronic connection in the car. Sometimes when a setting is being done on the diagnostic tool, you hear those electronic beeps and see/hear the components in the car moving or clicking like remote control.

Nowadays, cars with complicated ECU and many sensors can create havoc to the driving experience. Likely a sensor glitch causing the ECU to go into counter-measures mode.

Had a friend's Audi which refused to start after the car was left idle and the battery went flat. Putting in a new battery did no good and the car needed a complete ECU reset to work.

Best have the car looked at by a competent Audi mechanic with the proper diagnostics tools. Forget about those cheap workshops where some guy comes along, plugs in some "compatible" tool, vroom-vroom your engine and then gives you a thumbs-up and tells you "best liao.. all OK now"...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Oh.. anyway, just a guess from your symptoms and without knowing which model, I would suggest you pay attention to at least

1. air flow sensor
2. fuel sensor
3. CO2 sensor (emissions control)
4. ignition systems

There may be more but those would be the ones most likely due to our poor fuel and air quality.

Thanks.
Actually Audi is definitely not new but it has always been a low volume seller. In mid 2000s, their unit sales per year is only 200-300 compared to 2,000 for Mercs/Beemers.
A few of my family members and/or relatives have been using Audis even as early as 1980 and the experience has been mostly excellent. Very reliable, trouble free and low maintenance in terms of rare mechanical or electronic failures.
My ride was bought new abt 6 yrs ago and it has only been through the scheduled servicing (every 15,000 km). Not a single mechanical/electrical/electronic glitch to-date until yesterday. To-date only the batteries, tires, wipers, brake pads, oil & hydraulic fluids have been changed-all available immediately at Audi.

A few of our relatives/family friends have switched to Audi from the other German marques and no complaints so far, except that the booking period for servicing is getting longer and longer as more and more units are being sold. There was even a long waiting period of 6 months for the purchase of some models last 1-2 years.

I've been in the A6 hybrid.... lovely....too bad, too painful to upgrade...

Glad to hear you are back safely. Audi car is relatively new in Malaysia that not many mechanics know how to deal with it compared to Mercedes and BMW. do you face any spare parts problem so far?

My co has booked a new Audi A6 hybrid (first Audi in our family history). m a bit worry about the maintenance too.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
Out of curiousity - which model Audi are you driving? Symptoms sound very similar to VW's mechatronic issue to an extent.