Author Topic: Rado HyperChrome  (Read 5994 times)

Offline dpkong

Rado HyperChrome
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:47:01 PM »

Any thoughts about this range?

How tough is the ceramic really? Are they prone to hairline scratches? The case is a mix of steel body and 'ceramos' bezel which is actually quite nice.

Are the ETA movements good to COSC standards, although most of them are not COSC certified.

Without considering resale value, are they worth the asking price?

Offline aum1

• Freshie
Re: Rado HyperChrome
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
I like Rados.

The hyperchrome does get hairline scratches, if I am not mistaken. It's not ceramic but an in between amalgamation.

At above 10k it's pricey for what the watch is. But then again even Graham has the same movement so  ........

Having said that, when it comes to case technology Rado has taken it to the extreme but that still does not qualifies them as a Manufacture d'horlogerie but just another business unit of Swatch. The case of the watch out does the movements which are generally quartz easy to repair. The automatics, they charge a premium for. My two cents.

P.S.

You are one of the big boys here looking at previous posts and what you normally wear on your wrist, aren't you ? What are you doing getting a sudden interest in a mid level, middle class watch ? Just curious. Cheers

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »

You are one of the big boys here looking at previous posts and what you normally wear on your wrist, aren't you ? What are you doing getting a sudden interest in a mid level, middle class watch ? Just curious. Cheers

Nice to know someone who likes Rado indeed. And with only shamefully few watches, I don't see myself as a big boy here  :(

Rado is interesting to me because of the memories it brings back of my young days when they were very popular. Now taking an interest in their ceramic technology which I believe they were one of the very first, if not the first to experiment with.

From the price list, their R-One model is priced at RM49,000 so they can't be a mid-level, middle-class watch are they? And most of their automatic models are priced in the 10k+ region. And that brings me back to the question of are they worth it?

How is the timekeeping of their non-COSC models?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »
Was also interested in the Hyperchrome. The detailing is very fine. Looks really great. But I cant bring myself to spend that amount on money on one.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline aum1

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »

Nice to know someone who likes Rado indeed. And with only shamefully few watches, I don't see myself as a big boy here  :(

Rado is interesting to me because of the memories it brings back of my young days when they were very popular. Now taking an interest in their ceramic technology which I believe they were one of the very first, if not the first to experiment with.

From the price list, their R-One model is priced at RM49,000 so they can't be a mid-level, middle-class watch are they? And most of their automatic models are priced in the 10k+ region. And that brings me back to the question of are they worth it?

How is the timekeeping of their non-COSC models?

Unless one is Gadaffi's son or some other dictators, I don't see anyone spending 13k USD on a RADO. Those who have worked hard for their cash would go for a Rolex or something along that line.
The watch you mentioned is most probably a limited edition one.

The reason why I stated Rado is a middle class watch is because they get most of their customer base from the under 10k RM product line of theirs and if one remembers Rado's from back in the day they weren't pricey at all.

The timekeeping on a Rado True series  automatic is alright from my experience. That's the only automatic I handled.  Decent run of the mill ETA movement means easy repairability and reliability.

I have a Rado Original chrono quartz and it's not keeping accurate time at all after 4 good years. Which makes me peeved because I don't want to burn a grand at Menara Goldhill. The watch repairer/smith I went to said he's not going to touch it as it's complicated. Sigh. Nonsensical ,because I thought ETA's are cheap as chips to replace and easy to fix !

Cheers

P.S.

Someone please shoot down that Lebanese owner of Swatch Group and then the Swiss Government should take over that company and stop it's monopolistic bullying and unjustified prices. Then there will be some rationality in the Swiss watch industry. Can you imagine an Omega Aqua Terra quartz starting at 5k RM ?  It's possible.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »

Someone please shoot down that Lebanese owner of Swatch Group and then the Swiss Government should take over that company and stop it's monopolistic bullying and unjustified prices. Then there will be some rationality in the Swiss watch industry. Can you imagine an Omega Aqua Terra quartz starting at 5k RM ?  It's possible.

?
brand new aqua terra quartz you can find online for usd2k.
dont blame the owners, blame the economy.
now, if the the exchange rate to USD was still 2.5...then how?