Author Topic: Rolex Day Date Tridor  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

Rolex Day Date Tridor
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:36:16 AM »
Just some information I have gathered…personally and from the net. Not an expert view and neither an authority on the subject. Contribution from a small…even a microscopic being in this Horology Ocean of ours.

ROLEX TRIDOR DAY DATE

General Description: A Rolex Day Date with a twist in its President bracelet.
Circa: mid 1980s – early 2000s
Dials: various Rolex Day Date dials
Bezel:  from my understanding, in its original form, most come in yellow gold …not many (rare) in white gold.

Note: All the above points are the model’s general description. However, like other Rolex models, there is a possibility that the Tridor that you come across may have extremely rare characteristics. However, bear in mind that the `exclusivity’ element(s) may be aftermarket add-ons.

Public Response:  From my readings, the watch was not well accepted by the public. Reasons being they were among the most expensive from the Day Date family as the cost of producing the Tridor bracelet is higher while some compliant that it even looked too similar with Bicolor Datejust.
*During a recent GTG, an experienced watch enthusiast was even under the impression that it was a stainless steel bracelet with the Tridor `effects’ painted/placed on instead of fused in the bracelet.

Unique Features: President Bracelet - made up of white gold outer links with centre link of yellow and rose gold fused together.
Note: Centre Link – Yellow Gold, Rose Gold and White Gold, hence the Tridor name (3 different shades of gold)

Issues: I have so far come across a complaint in the web about the durability of the bracelet – weak bracelet link to the case.

Current Pre-Owned Price: RM30k-40k ( for non bling-bling models)

Current Status: Doubt it will ever be an “Iconic Collectible” like the Paul Newmans and the Steve McQueens. Neither will it reach the rare and prized status of Comex and friends.

My PERSONAL take: COLLECTIBLE …already very high on my list since it has been discontinued. Not easily available even in the pre-owned market and like most discontinued and rare Rolex…do I need to say what happens to them?!!

P/S…If I am ever to own one, it is strictly for keep…damn! To me, except for the white face, it is not a pretty looking piece…just being honest! ;)

Offline David_cheong

Re: Rolex Day Date Tridor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

In my earlier days of rolexes 'viewing', I did actually came across (& feel) these so-called tridor bracelets. They feel solid, handsome and of course heavy given their materials used. Then all the sudden, these brackets (aka the 'rolex king') just 'disappeared' from the scene, at least from the pre-owned market.

Based from the current market scenario, Rolex stop producing these tridor bracelets (correct me if I am wrong) since the solid end link comes into the picture.

These tridor bracelets are not to be mistaken with the rolesor type where the later combined with 2 material/s, ie gold and steel.... 

my 2 cts
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
http://bernardatdermawan.blogspot.com/2012/07/would-you-still-buy-rolex-if-you-knew.html

I knew i remember seeing it somewhere before.

Makes me scared to even consider one.

Wan,
This is the same dial we saw on Sat right?

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »

Peter,

The dial colour (from blogspot) is the same with what we saw on Sunday. However the markings (roman numerals etc) - I am quite sure is different...I remember saying to myself..."the dial looks rather drab and flat"...and since it wasn't a white face, my attention was more on the bracelet ...first time seeing a real `live' Tridor.

As for the "link problem"...I am still looking through the net, if this is a one off case or a regular/common occurance.

In the GTG/Meeting section...you did ask about the material of the case and bracelet. From my understanding all Rolex Day Date - both case and bracelet,  are not made from stainless steel..only precious metal like WG, RG, YG, etc. Again, I am no authority on the subject...who knows what they have in the Japanese market...like an automatic in a datejust quartz casing :)

Cheers, Wan.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Japan gets all the cool LE even from Rolex!

Only few weeks ago i first knew about the watch below.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
Anyone going to Japan in December? ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

I feel the Tridor bracelets are an acquired taste. Personally, I would have to see it in person. The pictures alone do nothing for me. Aren't the Tridor bracelets still still available for the Masterpiece range?

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Wan, are you going back to the shop to get the one with the Tridor bracelets?