Author Topic: Cost of ownership of a watch with Valjoux 7750 movement  (Read 19002 times)

Offline Kevlarr

• Freshie
Cost of ownership of a watch with Valjoux 7750 movement
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a pre-owned watch with a Valjoux 7750 movement. The watch is almost 9 years old, but it is hardly worn, sits unused for many years and looks like new. My only hesitation is that I read that the Valjoux 7750 movement needs servicing every 5 years, and that the cost of servicing a Valjoux 7750 can go upto USD500 (based on what I read in watchuseek forum).

My question is, how much is the cost of servicing a watch with a Valjoux 7750 movement in Malaysia? Is it advisable for me to purchase an almost 10 year old watch with a Valjoux 7750 movement? Will it cost me more in the long run to maintain the 7750 movement?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Cost of ownership of a watch with Valjoux 7750 movement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
Cost of ownership is brand dependent. The 7750 is a good if not great movement, but like anything with moving parts, it will require servicing. It is all part and parcel of the game. Sad but true.

Offline gloomis

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
have no idea how much it will cost bt whatever movement is adviseable to service it every 5 years no matter is ETA or inhouse.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »
ALL mechanical movements require servicing regardless. There are people who let a watch run until it grinds to a stop before sending it in for service or repair.
Of course some watches will run forever without servicing except that the rate/accuracy will vary after some time but that itself is a sign that all is not well.
If its just a non-high end branded simple 3 hand watch with no complication perhaps you can afford to do that as the damage (physical and pocket) accumulated over time won't be that huge.
If its a complication from top brands like a perpetual calendar or minute repeater or triple/annual date, that kind of attitude will cost you big money when the watch finally grinds to a stop as you'll need to replace more parts than if you had sent it in for regular service.
Servicing costs vary with brands and also whether you send it in to the authorised service centre or a freelance watch technician so it can run from a few hundred to > RM1K for run of the mill ETA/Valjoux/Unitas/Lemania.
In house movts will normally require being sent back to the manufacture and can cost up to 5 figures for tourbillons,perpetuals, minute repeaters.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:28:53 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Kevlarr

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The watch that I am considering is a chronograph, and the brand does not have a local AD or service centre, so I guess for servicing I would have to go to a freelance watch technician.

Has anyone sent their Valjoux 7750 chronograph watch for servicing in Malaysia before? How much does it cost?

I've read people in the US who sent their Valjoux 7750 for servicing for the first time got a real shock when they were billed USD$500. With that kind of money, I can buy another watch altogether. But then again, the cost of labour in the US (and EU) has always been higher. Malaysia might be cheaper...

Another question would be, if I buy a 9 year old Valjoux 7750 watch, should I send it for servicing right away, or just use it until it shows sign of not working properly. Since I do not know the watch servicing history, I have to assume that it has never been serviced before...so I also would not know how long the watch can run before it needs servicing.

I guess my real question is, do you think it is worth it to buy a 9 year old Valjoux 7750 watch, taking into account the unknown service history of the watch, and the cost of servicing for the movement?

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
I guess my real question is, do you think it is worth it to buy a 9 year old Valjoux 7750 watch, taking into account the unknown service history of the watch, and the cost of servicing for the movement?

No unless your watch is all solid gold  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The watch that I am considering is a chronograph, and the brand does not have a local AD or service centre, so I guess for servicing I would have to go to a freelance watch technician.

Has anyone sent their Valjoux 7750 chronograph watch for servicing in Malaysia before? How much does it cost?

I've read people in the US who sent their Valjoux 7750 for servicing for the first time got a real shock when they were billed USD$500. With that kind of money, I can buy another watch altogether. But then again, the cost of labour in the US (and EU) has always been higher. Malaysia might be cheaper...

Another question would be, if I buy a 9 year old Valjoux 7750 watch, should I send it for servicing right away, or just use it until it shows sign of not working properly. Since I do not know the watch servicing history, I have to assume that it has never been serviced before...so I also would not know how long the watch can run before it needs servicing.

It would be easier if we know the brand of the watch you are looking at.

Watch servicing is part and parcel of watch collecting. It is something we have to do, like it or not. You can push the service interval from 5 to 6 or even 7 years, but it all depends on you and how you use the watch. I have an Omega with a 7750 that I have not serviced since I bought it in 1996. Still runs well and within limits. The only issue is that the date does not change at 12, but that is an inherent 'problem' with the 7750 (not all will have it).

So if you are paying RM5,000 for the watch and the service cost RM1,500, it is really up to you. What is the value you place on the watch at the end of the day? RM6,500 with no issues for the next 5 to 6 years? Or if you are paying RM30,000 for the watch and you don't want to pay RM1,500 for the service?

I send all my watches (bought pre-loved) for a service (except Panerai) as I do not know the service history. Even if I know, I still send it for a service. It does not cost as much as until you wait for it to break down. I have a SeaDweller that was serviced in 2008 and I bought it last year. Guess what? RSC had a check and found out that the HRV was not working properly as the former owner had tried to see how the HRV worked and damaged it. There was water ingression and all. So, having a service history does give you peace of mind but it is not fool proof.

If you like the watch, get it. If you are really concern with the service cost, talk to the seller and see if the seller is willing to come down on the price to cover the service cost. If the seller is willing, you got it made, if not, you have to decide if the watch is worth it.

Service cost is always a concern to me, as is after sales service. That is why I limit myself to a particular price range when buying a watch. At least I know at the end of the day, I can afford to have the watch serviced. It is no use to buy a Patek and at the end of the day moan about having to pay RM10,000 for a service. As I have said, it is part and parcel of the game we play.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »
You gotta pay to play!

Offline Kevlarr

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

It would be easier if we know the brand of the watch you are looking at.

Watch servicing is part and parcel of watch collecting. It is something we have to do, like it or not. You can push the service interval from 5 to 6 or even 7 years, but it all depends on you and how you use the watch. I have an Omega with a 7750 that I have not serviced since I bought it in 1996. Still runs well and within limits. The only issue is that the date does not change at 12, but that is an inherent 'problem' with the 7750 (not all will have it).

So if you are paying RM5,000 for the watch and the service cost RM1,500, it is really up to you. What is the value you place on the watch at the end of the day? RM6,500 with no issues for the next 5 to 6 years? Or if you are paying RM30,000 for the watch and you don't want to pay RM1,500 for the service?

I send all my watches (bought pre-loved) for a service (except Panerai) as I do not know the service history. Even if I know, I still send it for a service. It does not cost as much as until you wait for it to break down. I have a SeaDweller that was serviced in 2008 and I bought it last year. Guess what? RSC had a check and found out that the HRV was not working properly as the former owner had tried to see how the HRV worked and damaged it. There was water ingression and all. So, having a service history does give you peace of mind but it is not fool proof.

If you like the watch, get it. If you are really concern with the service cost, talk to the seller and see if the seller is willing to come down on the price to cover the service cost. If the seller is willing, you got it made, if not, you have to decide if the watch is worth it.

Service cost is always a concern to me, as is after sales service. That is why I limit myself to a particular price range when buying a watch. At least I know at the end of the day, I can afford to have the watch serviced. It is no use to buy a Patek and at the end of the day moan about having to pay RM10,000 for a service. As I have said, it is part and parcel of the game we play.

The brand is Davosa. The model is called Pares Chronograph (I think), not the new model, but the old/discontinued model. For some reason, I kinda like the old model's design. The price is around RM3,500 - RM4,000 (inclusive of VAT, which I think I can request to deduct the VAT amount). The price alone is pretty high, considering it is a lesser known brand, and the fact that the watch is 9 years old. But if I have to pay RM1,500 for servicing immediately, then I think I may need to re-consider this. Perhaps I should just buy a brand new watch with 7750 movement and have a 5-7 worry-free years. Anyway, I'll talk to the seller about the service history and the service cost. That's a good idea, thanks.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
Very expensive for a nine year old 7750

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »
I wouldn't say its expensive for a 9 yr old Vj 7750 watch but rather its expensive for a 9 yr old Davosa with a Vj 7750 as Davosa's are not expensive watches given the quality of their casing, bracelet, etc..
A 10 yr old IWC, Omega, Breitling with a Vj 7750 can easily fetch RM 5-10 K still.

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline kltime

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »
Kevlarr's main question is actually how much does it cost locally to service a v 7750..mayb some of our sifus actually hv an idea based on past xperience since it is a fairly common movement. I also hv a Ball n Maurice Lacroix ( bought new ) with V7750 and wld also be keen 2 know.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
Freelance local watch technicians quote from RM 7xx to RM 1xxx. That is what I was told.
Authorised franchise holder service centres charge from RM 1,500 to RM 2,000+ depending on brand.. My experience many years ago..

Kevlarr's main question is actually how much does it cost locally to service a v 7750..mayb some of our sifus actually hv an idea based on past xperience since it is a fairly common movement. I also hv a Ball n Maurice Lacroix ( bought new ) with V7750 and wld also be keen 2 know.

Offline Kevlarr

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
I've done some checking myself on the cost to fully service (overhaul) a 7750 movement. The price I was quoted was RM800 to RM1000+, depending on the shop/watch technician.

After considering everyone's replies, I decided not to purchase the watch. The price and the age is not worth it, in my opinion. In case you are wondering, here is a picture of the Davosa watch:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/davosaa.jpg/

I like the nice clean dial and the arabic numerals, but I guess it's not meant to be.  I'll look for another (and newer) watch. Thanks for all your advice.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »
I've done some checking myself on the cost to fully service (overhaul) a 7750 movement. The price I was quoted was RM800 to RM1000+, depending on the shop/watch technician.

After considering everyone's replies, I decided not to purchase the watch. The price and the age is not worth it, in my opinion. In case you are wondering, here is a picture of the Davosa watch:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/davosaa.jpg/

I like the nice clean dial and the arabic numerals, but I guess it's not meant to be.  I'll look for another (and newer) watch. Thanks for all your advice.

Kevlarr,

Servicing a watch is a requirement for mechanical watch. If you don't service it. The potential damage could be the watch itself. Unless you buy throw away watches. You are going to have the same issues over and over.

My advice is if you want to keep the cost down look for big brands in-house movement because they can make the cost low. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not referring brands like Patek or AP(yes AP use Valjoux as well). These are high end not big. Mayne only big in names but not production.

Try seiko, orient or steinhart. They should cost less in servicing.

BTW it looks like you prefer the look of an IWC Portugieser Chrono. Why not save up for a used one?

Regards
T

Offline Kevlarr

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
Actually I am okay with the cost of servicing...the cost is not the issue, it's the "worth". I just don't think it's worth it to buy a watch and have to pay additional RM1,000+ to service it, especially since the watch is already over priced, 9 years old and little known brand.  ;)