Author Topic: Watch Collection No.5 -> Seiko 7005-8070 1970s Vintage : bergkamp10  (Read 3727 times)

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
This is a review on my Watch Collection No.5:

Seiko 7005-8070

Watch Specifications

Brand: Seiko
Model No.: 7005-8070
Origin: Japan
Date of Purchase: January 2011 (Silver) February 2011 (Black)
Package: Watch
Movement Type: Automatic
Display type: Analog
Water Resistant: -
Diameter: 38mm with crown (37mm without crown)
Case thickness: 8mm
Strap Width: 20mm

Pre-Purchase Evaluation

1. Vintage 1970s watch
2. Beautiful diamond-like looking hour marking dial
3. Classical and elegant
4. Automatic Movement
5. Affordable price
6. Made by Seiko Japan, a reliable & reputable watch-maker

Picture Gallery

Post-Purchase Evaluation

Since I started collecting watches, I was only into new model watches. Never did it cross my mind that I would ever own a vintage watch as I see them as old & dirty.

However, I was looking for a new watch to add to my collection when I stumble onto a online advertisement selling a Seiko 1970s Vintage watch (Silver). It looks beautiful in pictures with an affordable price tag. Coincidently, the seller happen to be located around my living area and we arranged to meet up.

It was love at first sight. The beautiful dial with the classy diamond-like hour marking totally took my breathe away. Little did I know that vintage watches is actually a piece of timepiece art that possess historical value. The seller is a vintage collector which own over 60 over vintage watches. He was looking to sold off some of his collection to pursuit his grail. I was fortunate to receive well-taught lessons on vintage watches by him. He changed my perception on old vintage watch and opened up a whole new path to my watch ‘Horology’.

New vintage watch + Knowledge learnt + A new friend (watch enthusiastic) = Priceless.

Summary

Seiko 7005-8070 (Silver), a 1970s vintage watch measuring at 38mm with crown. The 1mm crown is uniquely small in size. A watch with this dimension is consider a very big watch in the old days 1970s. Unlike most vintage watches I came across where their hour marking design was too dull to my liking, this specific watch has a very striking looking hour marking design (diamond-like) which portraits a classy and elegance look. No lume was present on this watch as it is more of a dress watch. Sign of aging could be found on the dial which in my opinion, a piece of art you would want to see in any vintage watch. The discoloration of the dial shows how wonderful the timepiece is, after going through so many years yet ticking smoothly. Holding on to the beautiful 1970s Seiko 7005-8070 (Silver), I started wondering where and who will own this specific same model Seiko watch beside me? A watch dating back to 1970s, the odds of finding another watch of the same kind is slim.

But nothing is impossible!

1 month since I purchased this vintage watch, I came across a watchshop selling the same exact model Seiko 7005-8070 but in different dial color (Black). It was like my Seiko 7005-8070(Silver) long lost brother. I could not believe the odds of this happening as both are very old model watches dating back to 1970s which is almost 41 years from today. I knew it was a sign that I have to unite this two brothers. I did and there lies both of them in my watch box – The Seiko 7005-8070 (Silver & Black) brothers.

For more pictures: http://bergkamp10watchsite.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/review-seiko-7005-8070-vintage/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:52:39 PM by bergkamp10 »

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline Watchnewby

Re: Affordable No.5 -> Seiko 7005-8070 1970s Vintage : bergkamp10
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
Well, what can I say more.
Your collection is intriguing, thought you only buy new, but here is a vintage (twin vintages) of which you have reviewed.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
good collection u hv there.....

next time bring this pair to to us in mwf gtg pls

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
Your collection is intriguing, thought you only buy new, but here is a vintage (twin vintages) of which you have reviewed.

Watchnewby,

I'm on the road of building a balance affordable watch collection which consist all kind of watches, different style, different watchmaker and 'Vintage Watch' is a must must of any collection. They play an important role in horology. They might be old but it's these vintage watches that's why now,we have all the new watches. Grandparents -----> Parents-----> We ;D

next time bring this pair to to us in mwf gtg pls

Chrisyen,

I will love to! Unfortunately, they are no longer in my collection. I have displace them with in my view, a better vintage watch. ::) I bring their photos to share with you?  :mooning:

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline kltime

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
 :thumbsup: