Author Topic: CAT watch  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Watchnewby

CAT watch
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
I though I will start a review on one of my older Quartz watch, a Caterpillar YH143 (hence the name CAT for short) chronograph.
This watch is one of my favourites, can be used as a dress watch, office watch and as rugged for jungle/hill trekking or even mountain climbing excursions.

The watch comes with a leather & silicon band. No metal bracelet in the CAT.
This watch is meant to be for external rough usage, what with its rugged looks.
The CAT body is made of polished steel, whereas the leather strap's buckle is brushed (steel).
It is water resistant to 10 ATM and has a screw-down crown.
The face of the watch is not toobig, IMO, measuring at 42mm excluding the crown and 45mm including it.
I find that the whole watch is very well put together and is not something you would be afraid to rough up a little. I don't mind "dropping" it once in a while and see how the CAT goes. 

The watch dial is big and in white against a black background making telling time easy as a breeze. The seconds hand is found at the bottom, at 6 o'clock direction. The CAT also features a date which can be found between the numbers 4 & 5. The stopwatch can be located on the left at 9 o'clock direction together with the hour indicator on the right. The lume is great but only last around a good 10 minutes.

Well the good thing about my CAT is its timekeeping is spot on. (of course lah, what do you expect from a batery operated quartz as compared with a mechanical self-winding or manual winding watch)

All in all, it's a very enjoyable timepiece and I got it at a very good price last time.

If my watch review is bad, please feedback so I can improve. Thank you for reading.

Information can be found at www.catwatches.com.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:08:58 AM by Watchnewby »

Offline gavinjayanand

Re: CAT watch
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
Hi there Watchnewby, a very nice review of what looks like a very nice watch. Might I ask what battery does it use? I've got a similar Timex that I suspect may use the same module.

On another note, that is a fantastic looking strap! Did it come with the watch, or did you swap out the original?

All the best,

Gavin
I didn't make it all the way to third grade for nothing! -Percival C. McLeach

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »
Hello Gavin,

The batterry is from Maxell, ie Japanese battery.
Please note that for quartz watches, try not to mix Japanese (Maxell or Sony etc) and European (eg. Renata) batterries for they may damage the watches. I was told to replace Japanese watches with battery from Japan and Swiss watches wwith European battery.
Your Timex, American brand with Swiss technology, right? My guess is to replace with batterry from Europe/Swiss. Please confirm with your watchmaker/repairer.

As for the strap, it is original leather comes with the watch. I bought the silicon one for rough usage like going into the jungle and camping overnight.

Thanks for reading.
 :Cheers:

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
always wonder how the CAT watch perform....as good as the machinery they produce???
thanks for the review

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »
You are welcom, mnazritan.
Thanks for stopping by.

As for CAT performance, not sure as yet, will take it out for some jungle trekking/hill climbing/mountain hiking in November and see how the CAT performs.