Author Topic: Why a man with many luxury watches doesnt wear one any more... by Timothy Tiah  (Read 14322 times)

Offline Clmntchong

For my case,  i want to have sonething to pass on to my son.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
I buy watches bcos I love watches... If u need to show off , u can just put your beemer or Benz key on the desk and spin it with your vertu

Offline chenht

humble brag

I agree. Pointless self-aggrandising article.

I don't unserstand what is the purpose of of the write writing such article.
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline artyca

Some people buy watches as a means of status symbol... I want to show off how rich I am.

Others appreciate fine watchmaking because of the handcrafted micro engineering marvels that humans can accomplish.

To each his own... A Seiko is uncomparable to a Patek only from a horologists (or WIS) perspective...

Offline watchenthusiast

a watch=a piece of art for self admiration and appreciation

Offline theseira

I buy watches bcos I love watches... If u need to show off , u can just put your beemer or Benz key on the desk and spin it with your vertu

Spin the key with the RM!  :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

5 months ago, someone comments....

Offline gchee

Usually its a combination of both, to show off and also love of watches and their complications.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
This is what a true watch hobbyist is all about - it is all about yourself and how you feel about your own watches.

It is important to recognize this fact early on. Only then can we start to appreciate individual taste in watches

In MWF there are 7420 registered members out of which approximately 2490 (give or take) have posted at least once on the forum. Out of this, approximately 630 of us are classified as Freshies or better (>25 posts).

From these active members, I got the opportunity to appreciate their watches whether it is just a plastic quartz to the very high end mechanical marvels without ever needing to give any disparaging remarks.

This factor is important and should be our Credo. We want people to join MWF for the love of the hobby and not be cowed by thinking that we only appreciate high end watches.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline asimo

Maybe u guys should switch to independent to avoid the stigma.. Consider fortis , Titoni , Speake Marin, Sarpaneva, HYT, Bedat, Romaine Jerome... GS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Caseywai

humble brag

Lol. Fully agree. It's just another way of showing off with an article written in that manner. Is it just me or the author is purposely writing something to get attention? I don't sense any real humility in the article.

I love watches for the watches. It's only natural that some regard certain watches as a status watches (just like car) but it doesn't mean others who love certain watches can't enjoy them as well (like a car). It's obvious both the author and father buy and wear watches for the wrong purposes - which I believe is enjoyment of the watches and emotional connection with them. Eg. I have a watch when I first graduated from uni, a watch which I got when I first hit adulthood, marriage etc. all of them which tells a priceless story today.

And what's wrong with seiko? This person writing is like saying a seiko is a cheap watch brand which clearly it isn't at all! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Hrmmm. My intention is to give my son the most bad ass watch that his poor ass dad could afford.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
A story about 'humility' but in reality more about success.

This is what separates a WIS/collector and a show off

well said bro...

Offline elado249

True. Wearing watches dat i love makes me feels good. Doesn't bother me bout the status when wearing kind of watches. If fact i really doesn't care my selekeh appearances when i went out as long as i am wearing my watches

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

I actually keep my Seiko 5 watches in my car's compartment. Just in case, I forgot to put on or to exchange my watch for some rough sports.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Wearing a Seiko 5 right now. My dad bought one for me. :D
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline Cocas

"Businessweek Asia's Best 25 Young Entrepreneurs in Asia JCI Creative Young Entrepreneur Award 2008"

don't play play oh

Wow...that article author got a very long title award

Offline asimo

I actually keep my Seiko 5 watches in my car's compartment. Just in case, I forgot to put on or to exchange my watch for some rough sports.

Cosas: will the hot temperatures inside our car damage the movement ?

Offline Cocas

Cosas: will the hot temperatures inside our car damage the movement ?

So far I put my 2 Seiko 5, 2 Seiko monsters in proton exora, Toyota vios, Mercedes-Benz front passenger seat compartments . As of now, totally no issues.