Author Topic: First Impression of Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT model no. SUN019P1 aka "Katie"  (Read 11604 times)

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
The package arrived in a typical FedEx Large Pak, in the same packaging that I have received for many other watches couriered from overseas such as Steinhart, SevenFriday, etc. The retailer took care to ensure that the inner Seiko box was protected from elements of shock from mishandling (although the Prospex series was supposed to be the G-Shock equivalent for Seiko), and I do appreciate that.

I have received 3 Steinhart watches from Germany and all had the outer boxes torn while in transit, although it was not really a big thing. Still, it made one felt good when you opened the parcel and there it was- a brand new box waiting for one to explore. But I digress.

Opening up the box, we have the Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT model no. SUN019P1, also known as Kinetic Tuna amongst WIS on forums. For comparison, this was how the original Quartz Tuna looked like :

For simplicity, let's just referred to the Kinetic Tuna as KT ("Katie"). After all, it was a big chunk of behemoth metal, felt solid in one's hand, constantly attracting prying eyes towards its end, and came at an affordable price for what it had to offer.

Sounds more than a little similar to Katie Price then, whom was a big thing and always in the news for whatever right or wrong reasons, when I was working and living in London a few years back. But I'm digressing again. Oh well, back to the watch then...

I liked it when a watch came delivered with the time all set up for the intended recipient's time zone. In this case, given that KT was running on the Kinetic movement caliber 5M85 with the capacity to store up to 6 months' of juice, the reseller could just tune up the watch at his or her end and as long as KT reaches me in 6 months' time, she would still be purring happily away. Her rotor seemed to be a little loud though, when you handled her roughly to and fro.

I glanced at the BR01 that I was wearing and the time was almost on the dot between both watches.

KT was a big chunk of metal, all stainless steel of it; and you could really felt her weight. I chose this model rather than the SUN021P1 or SUN023P1 because this was a more corporate version that I could wear for work and play irregardless (okay, so perhaps I'm a boring person :D), and I liked the way the bracelet integrated into the case. From the pictures, you could probably see the toolish grains of the matt case and bracelet, which made it very utilitarian and serious. I liked it.

I had a concern that it may wear too large for me, and here's a comparison to the next-largest diver watch that I have in my winder last night- the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL at 45.5mm. KT was actually the same size as another watch that I had i.e. a Citizen Eco-Zilla that was also 47.5mm.

KT may be only 2mm larger at 47.5mm; but when placed side-by-side, her size truly showed and I'm part due to the thick chunk of bracelet. I liked the solid ends of the bracelet though, and it came with diver extension even. All in all, KT's bracelet was very much similar to the Planet Ocean's bracelet; although the final build quality and premium feel still goes to the Omega's.

Time to try other straps on KT then. I looked through my collection of watch straps but alas, most of the straps were of 20 - 22 mm variations with the exception of the ones for Bell & Ross. For the fun of it, this was how KT looked when paired with genuine Cordura 1000D army fatigue strap meant for BR01 :

Very much of a kick-@rse outlook, right? But not the way a diver watch should look like.

I tried on a pair of Nato vintage leather 22mm and the strap kept KT nicely-strapped to my wrist without sliding to and fro, despite the weight and size. Looked like this would work out just fine then, and I have already ordered for 24mm Nato straps from overseas to match with KT.

With the straps aside, look at the chunk of metal that KT was and the details of the protector shroud. Me likey.

And here it was again, next to the Planet Ocean XL. And also time to see if its LumiBrite lived up to its reputation.

Indeed Seiko's proprietorship LumiBrite does rocked the night away! I checked it some six hours later when I woke up, and I could still see traces of the lume shining away- KT would definitely be fun at nights after a full day in the sun then.

All in all, the first impression of KT was good. I can't wait for the newly-ordered 24mm Nato straps and Isofrane straps to arrive; after which I believe that she would wear even better.

Ain't she a beauty? For silly money, you're going to get lots of pleasure in return. Really.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Nice write-up. Being this piece as well.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline rainbowfix

Wow,  a nice one! Thanks for sharing.  Congrats!

Offline D'Andy

Thanks, Meoramri and Rainbowfix. Glad you guys like it. Sharing is caring  :Cheers:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Offline Yikkie

Wow!  It is a behemoth!  Didn't realize that it is that huge just by looking at the pics.  Looks great on your wrist bro.  Very masculine.   :Cheers:

Offline Gilthoniel

What a monster! Looks like it goes well with a variety of straps as well!

Think I'll run to a nearby AD and try out the other 2 variations and decide soon!

Offline D'Andy

What a treat- I had just procured KT and done this review on Friday, and a good friend just gave me a new SUN023P1 as a present because she heard me remarking that I liked it a while back! Now I have 2 almost-similar brothers-in-arm behemoth of Kinetic Tunas. I liked KT but I can't flip the SUN023P1 since it was a present, so anyone interested in picking a brand new, unworn (except to take the shots above) SUN019P1 with original, unsized bracelet, just drop me a PM. Price will definitely be lowest in town, that's for sure :thumbsup: Win-win for both.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
One like given to it. Sure it look very solid eh?

Offline D'Andy

One like given to it. Sure it look very solid eh?

Both watches are nice- although I prefer the SUN019P1 as it looked more corporate and presentable (read "boring"  ;D). There was a time when I would go for any watches with orange in them; but in SUN023P1's case, it seemed to be too colourful. Yeah, I must be growing old. Plus the PVD on the shroud tends to hide the best feature of the watch- the thick, macho shroud with its toolish grains. I can't wait to pair the black Isofrane that I have ordered for KT and see how it changes the outlook of the watch. The more I looked at her, the more I think she should remain in my collection. After all, why give up something that I like more, for something that I like lesser, for silly monies - am I right?  :HammerHead:

Offline tantan

It shines in the dark!!!