Author Topic: Some Old Boxes  (Read 2492 times)

Offline siewming

Some Old Boxes
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
When first time I saw these innocent looking boxes in a watch repair shop some years ago, they did not make much impression on me. The old gentleman owner used to keep some odd/junk parts inside for as long as he could remember. There measure about 5”x3” with 6 partitions and have what appeared to be randomly hand scribbled notes/numbers on the lid.  It was not until one day I closed the cover of one and saw what was written on the front.  My jaw just dropped, I just have to raid them off from him!

These were of course the never seen before (at least for me) original IWC factory packing boxes for the WWW watches (the so called Mark X) delivered to the UK MOD in 1945. The front cover has the broad arrow crown property marking, the supply contract number, WWW and the serial number range of watches in each box.  The IWC archive has shown that these watches were delivered in 21 batches over a period of 7 months, from May 1945 until December 1945 with a total of 6000 pieces. The batches were always in multiple of 6 watches, which can now be collaborated with the 6 partitions in each box. The box also suggested that the watches were delivered without strap or bracelet. 

Now knowing that they were watch related, the hand scribbled numbers seem to resemble the timing figure of each watch, probably tested by the MOD watchmaker upon receipt.   

I hope you find them interesting like I do. Ever since then I have been looking for a Mark X with a serial number matches one of the box to add to the collection, but have no luck so far.

Offline yeoh1984

• Freshie
Re: Some Old Boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »
Vintage box!!! :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Some Old Boxes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
whoa....  :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: