Author Topic: Grand Seiko SBGR061 - A Review  (Read 15630 times)

Offline sidestreaker

Grand Seiko SBGR061 - A Review
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I shall attempt my first ever watch review in this forum. That's just because I'm exciting with a new acquisition and would like to share with everyone here.

After much browsing, and snooping around ADs and endless hours of web-searching photos and reviews, I have finally found the courage to bring this home:

Let the unboxing begins!

Nice leatherette box…

...paperworks, check!...

The translucent paper reminds me of Japanese pastry…

It gets better with the velvet box within….

On the wrist. Ok, all this while I’ve been on 42mm and above. To wear a 39mm us a bit of a drop in size for me but somehow, the richness of the wrist presence of this watch is incredible.

It stands 13mm plus

Very smooth and comfortable

The deployant clasp operation is light but study. Comfortable too.

More wrist shots

It’s highly polish…

...and the legibility is fantastic.

Polished index and hands reflecting light effectively and legible even in low light condition.

Movement with holographic lion symbol, visible at certain angle

Simple but effective clasp

I’m not going to go on with all the Zaratsu Polishing and how finely this watch is made. I think it’s becoming a common acknowledgement (especially in this forum) that Seiko craftsmanship is better if not on par with their European competitors. The SBHR061 is no exception.

What I find unique about this piece and some of the other models that share the same features is that the dial colour. This is one of my favourite features and perhaps the deciding factor of getting this model. It seems to be made of some sort of brass base with some ‘trade-secret’ coating. The creamy like appearance is hard to catch on the camera and it almost gives out a porcelain-like appearance at certain angle. It also captures the reflected rays of light from the indices, giving the impression of a textured dial. Something so simple, yet so rich.

It’s sorcery, I tell you, sorcery!

The size is about 39mm. I’m very used to all the IWC sizes which start from 42mm and found some of other smaller watches less exciting as I am used to large open-face-bezel-less-dial and stronger wrist appearance. However, the highly polish surface with the reflective indices, rich textured hands and the beautiful blue second hands seems to convey the idea of wrist appearance in a more elegant and restrained manner, something that I found lacking in some of Master Control JLC range watches. Perhaps it is the proportion or perhaps it is in the richness of the dial, whatever it is, it seems to work well without doing too much. I think they got it just right.

Great size, goes under the cuffs easily for daily office wear
It’s a good thing that this comes in alligator strap. Although some of the flagship model of GS comes in bracelet, but I’d like to keep my entry model to something I’m more used to. The leather strap somewhat medium thick but still comfortable and adjust almost immediately when I wore it after the first couple of hours. The internal lining seems to be a bit porous and may absorb more sweat than other leather straps I have. I guess only time will tell if it will last long enough. The deployant clasp operates rather fine and subtle compared to the heavier duty bullet-proof IWC clasp that I’m used to, but seems to be very sturdy.

For accuracy, seems to be doing well, gaining at approximately +2 or less per day. No complaints there!
With 72 hours power reserve on a single barrel, it’s an impressive feat for a small caliber. I can leave it in the box for the weekend and not worrying about setting the time/date on the first working day of the week.

Score
1.   Design  8/10
One of the finest design of a 3 hand watch I’ve ever come across. The simplicity yet sophisticated dial colour and attention to detail put GS range and especially this model in a top category. The styling will not go out of style. One of those few watches you can call a watch for life.

2.   Durability 6/10
Slightly above average score denotes by the leather strap and the finely done deployant clasp. This is of course not a sports watch and should be treated carefully.

3.   Accuracy 9/10
Accurate and consistent. +2 per day

4.   Size and comfort 9/10
My first sub 40mm watch and it makes me appreciate smaller size watches again. Feels great under the cuffs too.

5.   Legibility 7/10
Again dial, indices and hands design gives great legibility even in low light without the lume.

6.   Ease of operation 8/10
Adjusting time and date is a breeze as how a 3 hand watch should be.

7.   Calibre 7/10
9S65 may look basic but is impressive in my books with its 72 hrs power reserve, ease of operation and winding, small package and accurate. Although the caseback show a rather industrial like appearance of the caliber minus the bevel edges or other Swiss standard/tradition, it does exude the proved quality of Seiko

8.   Craftsmanship 9/10
Simple but yet perfectly executed. Every indices, minute lines, applied Seiko logos, display caseback are almost perfect under the loop.

9.   Value 9/10
For what was paid, GS certainly represents great value in almost every angle. Not many manufacturer can offer you this quality at the price point.

10.   After-sales service n/a
New watch but heard lots of good things about them.

Average – 8/10

The score above is just my own way of providing and objective scoring. It’s impossible to qualify feelings and impressions that one has when a watch is clad on the wrist.

For more information on this model:
http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/9s-mechanical/SBGR061.html

Thanks for reading!

Offline tummybed

Re: Grand Seiko SBGR061 - A Review
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Simplicity at it's finest!
Thank you for the extensive review.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
Excellent review....must adopt some of your approach...

Lovely watch and agree with you on the following comments....

<What I find unique about this piece and some of the other models that share the same features is that the dial colour. This is one of my favourite features and perhaps the deciding factor of getting this model. It seems to be made of some sort of brass base with some ‘trade-secret’ coating. The creamy like appearance is hard to catch on the camera and it almost gives out a porcelain-like appearance at certain angle. It also captures the reflected rays of light from the indices, giving the impression of a textured dial. Something so simple, yet so rich.>...............

<the highly polish surface with the reflective indices, rich textured hands and the beautiful blue second hands seems to convey the idea of wrist appearance in a more elegant and restrained manner, something that I found lacking in some of Master Control JLC range watches. Perhaps it is the proportion or perhaps it is in the richness of the dial, whatever it is, it seems to work well without doing too much. I think they got it just right>

basically, you just need to inspect a GS in the metal and especially with a loupe....
I have IWC, JLC watches too....and you're spot on..

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »
nice write up ! i'm sure your second GS is on the way soon....  ;D

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
Simplicity at it's finest!
Thank you for the extensive review.

Thanks tummybed, glad you like it.

Excellent review....must adopt some of your approach...

basically, you just need to inspect a GS in the metal and especially with a loupe....
I have IWC, JLC watches too....and you're spot on..

Thanks Joseph. You're one of the 'sifu' around here when it comes to Seiko. The rest of us plebeians will benefit greatly with your guidance.
As always, the product speaks volumes about the attitude taken by the brand. In this case, it is saying a lot of good things!

nice write up ! i'm sure your second GS is on the way soon....  ;D

well , you know what they say...
While having lunch, a man will think about what to have for dinner... :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:39:19 AM by sidestreaker »

Offline watzisname

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
Congrats! Really a handsome piece. What's the lug size?

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

Thanks, if not mistaken, it could be 19mm or 20mm...

Offline watzisname

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »

The original GS tang buckle is 16mm so that means the strap tapers from 19mm to 16mm? Does it look weird?

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »

The original GS tang buckle is 16mm so that means the strap tapers from 19mm to 16mm? Does it look weird?

It's looks ok and proportionate to the watch size.

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »
Nice review! i know how good it feels on the wrist as i was in the same shop testing a few GS few days before yr purchase, somehow my trigger was too stiff to pull, now fully lubricated by yr review… ahem ahem… ;=)

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Nice review! i know how good it feels on the wrist as i was in the same shop testing a few GS few days before yr purchase, somehow my trigger was too stiff to pull, now fully lubricated by yr review… ahem ahem… ;=)

Cheers. It was only after the 3rd visit over a span of 12 months that I mustered the confidence to commit to it. That's how long I had to ponder and decide.

If opportunity arises, I'll come with you for moral support, haha!

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:21 PM »
Wa bagi satu like  :thumbsup:

I had to agree the movement finishing is too awesome that your eye will bleed as a result. If swiss watch were to offer similar offering it going to cost an person bomb lol  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
Enjoyed reading your review. GS is the master in dial variation - they all have very tempting dials, and I'm sure you'll soon be seduced again.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the kind words again.

Update: Time check.

I've left it resting over the long weekend and it probably wind down quite a bit and maybe losses time overall (quite the opposite of other watches where it gain more as PR is lower). So whatever time gain I got since I wore it for the past month had been offset and now it's back to +1 sec after wearing it again for a day.

In other words the watch only gained +1 sec after 20 days of wearing (on and off). Accuracy score just got increased to 9.5 (for me as it suits my pattern of usage, worn once on average of 3 days)!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:04:04 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline Lazarus7247

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words again.

Update: Time check.

I've left it resting over the long weekend and it probably wind down quite a bit and maybe losses time overall (quite the opposite of other watches where it gain more as PR is lower). So whatever time gain I got since I wore it for the past month had been offset and now it's back to +1 sec after wearing it again for a day.

In other words the watch only gained +1 sec after 20 days of wearing (on and off). Accuracy score just got increased to 9.5 (for me as it suits my pattern of usage, worn once on average of 3 days)!

Amazing accuracy .. and this is not even the spring drive variant !