Author Topic: Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST011G  (Read 9975 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST011G
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
I usually have no interest in quartz watches apart from using 1 single piece to keep reference time for all my mechanical pieces.
However on my last Tokyo trip I was curious abt the Astron.
After seeing a demonstration of the Astron there, I was awed by its hi-tech capabilities.
2 yrs ago I tried the Citizen Satellite Wave Appleseed (RM 11K) but it didn't impress me at all apart from its really cool futuristic looks.

The Astron auto detects wherever you are and adjusts the time to the timezone you are at (If you have a clear sky above you and not be covered)
The watch will also sync the local time ONCE everyday with the nearest GPS satellite's atomic clocks (which is accurate to 1 sec per 100,000 years) once there is bright light and open sky.
Of course the sync will only be successful if you are receiving a satellite signal which means you need to have open sky above you.

Since getting the watch, I've tried testing the time syncing and the detection/change of the timezone. You can change the timezone manually too even though you are not in that zone.
Both work seamlessly.

To manually sync the time if you are impatient for the scheduled auto sync, you just press the 2 o'clock button for 3 seconds and it will try to detect the nearest satellite.
You can also manually adjust the time to a time signal but so far I have no problem getting satellite syncing when there is open sky above me.
In case you really can't get any satellite signal which hasn't happened so far but IF you live in the basement, all functions can still be manually over-ridden. Without any satellite signal the watch will still keep normal quartz accuracy of +/-15 sec/month.
The watch is charged by any kind of light so even if you live in the north pole with no sun, as long as you have a light source it will still work.

Having tested it and it works I'm now looking to get a high end model of the Astron

Specification for all Seiko Astron GPS Solar watches

Sapphire crystal with Super-Clear Coating*
Water resistance 10 bar
Magnetic resistance 4,800 A/m
Case diameter 47.0 mm, thickness: 16.5 mm
Caliber: GPS Solar 7X52

GPS controlled time and time zone adjustment
Perpetual calendar correct to February 2100
Signal reception result indication
World time function (39 Time Zones)
Daylight Saving Time function
Power save function

Malaysian RRP: RM 7,700.00

**Super-Clear Coating
Seiko’s proprietary newly-developed anti-reflective coating, applied on both the front and back of the glass. It prevents 99% of light reflection and allows the dial to be easily legible, even in bright light

Front view of dial

Caseback

Scratch resistant ceramic is used also because the GPS antenna is located under the bezel- ceramic allows the signal to penetrate better than steel

Various angles of the dial

12 o'clock and six o'clock views- alternate brushed/polished black PVD steel lugs

Rubber strap version with brushed folding deployant buckle and SEIKO signed keeper
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:08:36 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

Re: Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST011G
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
I was also very impressed with the technology but the huge case combined with massive thickness put me off.

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
had the chance to tried the steel version few days ago when i was in Penang, didnt know it was that expensive till i saw the price tag. The watch was handsome looking and the 3D dial look so appealing and beautiful however the size was too big and the steel version was incredibly heavy, if anyone plan to buy this watch it will have to be in titanium.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Saw it once at a shop before, looks great. Thanks for the review.
Seiko fan.....

Offline paparadzi

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »
Tried one in Dubai airport, the black titanium (007) model. About RM 9k after discount.

The newer 8x82 models are slightly smaller and more promising, hopefully I can get one in the near future.

Offline ewch

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
My SBXA033 Stratosphere says "hello".

Casio G-Shock GPW-1000-1BJF; Seiko Monster SRP313J1; Seiko Astron SBXA033; Rolex Explorer II 216570; Defakto Eins - White; Panerai PAM 000M; Stowa Marine Original Serial; Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium T013.420.47.202.00; IWC Fliegerchronograph 3717; Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer 2220.80.00; Tag Heuer Professional 3000 Series Quartz

Offline banqk2

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »
Awesome serve pretty much similiar ( or at least closer) features as the latest GPS HYBRID WAVE CEPTOR G-SHOCK GRAVITYMASTER GPW-1000 to me.

Offline craftvn

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:35:26 AM »
beautiful watch