Author Topic: Good value for money brands/watches and why?  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Yikkie

Good value for money brands/watches and why?
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
Hi guys. Thought I should start a thread on what all the sifus think are the best value for money brands or watches in the market...and why?

My vote will go to Zenith at the moment with their very unique striking 10th complication at a relatively affordable price.

Glashutte should also be mentioned for their beautiful finishing and 3/4 plate movement which is synonymous with Saxon watchmaking traditions.

...and Casio for their iconic G-Shock collection.  :)

Please share your thoughts and knowledge with us.  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:10:36 PM by Yikkie »

Offline el118

Re: Best value for money brands/watches and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
If brand name is of no importance, Tissot is quite a good bargain for a "Swiss" watch.

If movements technology is taken into consideration, Zenith and JLC are reasonably priced.

If instant brand recognition is important, none other than Rolex.

If prestij and emotional value is taken into account, some may argue Patek is good choice  :D (Remember u just look after it for the next generation, what a strong tagline)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Value for money = Seiko
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline STT1987

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
Casio
Swatch
Seiko
 :Cheers:

They tell time and a whole lot more. Some don't even need to wear or put batteries in them for power. Just put 'em in the sun.
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:17:48 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline STT1987

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
If prestij and emotional value is taken into account, some may argue Patek is good choice  :D (Remember u just look after it for the next generation, what a strong tagline)

PP is no doubt a great watch brand but a good advertising campaign and slogan adds nothing to the intrinsic value of the watch really.
 ???  ::)  :P

PS:
Vacheron Constantin IMHO is in the same "class" as PP, but they don't market their stuff as extensively as PP. I don't see VC as being any less valued than PP. Anyways my kid had better be happy with just my Omega, cuz I am taking everything else with me!!! Hahaha!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:25:15 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain

Offline hooidcaster

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
its always be Seiko.. and answer for "why I think so" is already in every watchfag's mind..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline tummybed

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
Seiko Sumo..best bang for buck imo.

Offline el118

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »

PP is no doubt a great watch brand but a good advertising campaign and slogan adds nothing to the intrinsic value of the watch really.
 ???  ::)  :P

PS:
Vacheron Constantin IMHO is in the same "class" as PP, but they don't market their stuff as extensively as PP. I don't see VC as being any less valued than PP. Anyways my kid had better be happy with just my Omega, cuz I am taking everything else with me!!! Hahaha!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

True, true, ask the kids to learn to make money and buy themselves...

Offline windstruckk

Re: Good value for money brands/watches and why?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Seiko 5 best value for money  ;)

My dad's one is looking so good. White dial combined with gold color bezel and half gold polished bracelet.

I won't mind wearing it anyday.  ;D

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
IMHO it all depends on the categories..
up to RM 1K
up to RM5K
up to RM 10K
up to RM 20K
up to RM 50K
up to RM100K

depending on one's income level, beyond that value for money may have no meaning, just purely attaining self satisfaction at whatever cost.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:18:28 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
IMHO it all depends on the categories..
up to RM 1K
up to RM5K
up to RM 10K
up to RM 20K
up to RM 50K
up to RM100K

beyond that, value for money may be illogical or irrelevant

the goal post changes along with your pay-scale...

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »
If its about buying something that cost much lesser than other brands, coupled with the fact that it tells time just as well as others with a good measure of reliability- yep, a Seiko for me..  ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:52:59 AM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:51:46 AM »
Orient..... FTW
Jacky Wong

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
citizen and orient  :thumbsup:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »
Value might not need to be linked to how expensive (or cheap) an item is. Buying something cheap might not be of good value and vice versa.  It really is about what you get for the money paid.

Offline STT1987

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Without dividing up your criteria of "value" into various price points (ex: <1k rm, <5k rm, <10krm), you will just get suggestions that are all over the map.
 ???  ???  ???

I mean really, how can you compare the "value" of a mechanical Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar vs a G-Shock that does everything it can do and so much more. The G-Shock would win the utility/price ratio everytime.

This is such a subjective question that generally steers itself into one or two particular brands IMHO.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
Define "VALUE" then we can give a more appropriate answer.

Or else pretty much anything goes.

I see value in craftsmanship, design, innovation and integrity . The way I measure them I found is rather more model specific them brand specific.     

Regard
Tyler

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
Without dividing up your criteria of "value" into various price points (ex: <1k rm, <5k rm, <10krm), you will just get suggestions that are all over the map.
 ???  ???  ???

I mean really, how can you compare the "value" of a mechanical Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar vs a G-Shock that does everything it can do and so much more. The G-Shock would win the utility/price ratio everytime.

This is such a subjective question that generally steers itself into one or two particular brands IMHO.
I do agree that this is a highly subjective question.  I wanted to know what are people's perception of value in our hobby. It has been established that Casio, Seiko and Orient make excellent watches at very reasonable prices.  However, all 3 brands do not make mechanical movements with perpetual calendar or other grand complications such as gyro tourbillons or finishes their movements quite as well as Lange or Patek for example.  Ultimately, my question is not only about finding value in cheap watches but finding value at every price category.  For example, it is easy to say that Toyota is good value for money due to its affordability but one could also find value in a Porsche for its level of engineering and the sheer joy of owning and driving one. Let your imaginations run wild.

Offline TwoSolitudes

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
1. Zenith: In house movements, great design again (after some pretty awful years), high quality, and good name recognition. Not Cheap- but it offers the same level of refinement as others that charge much much more.

2. Nomos: Same as above. In house, great design and pretty unique, very high quality. Not a great name recognition, but I don't see much of anything to compare at this price level.

3. Hamilton and Tissot: Base ETA movements, but they cost less than others (FC, ML, BM, B&R, ect ect) offering basically the same movements for much more. The design is solid and the quality and brand recognition is great. 

JLC, Rolex and IWC are superb watches, but not great 'value'. Rolex makes a million watches a year and they cost a lot. They are great. But they are no great deal. IWC or JLC are very very expensive. They both offer great products (and I want one), but they are priced at a premium - no 'value' there.

At the other end Swatch and Casio are cheap- but they compete with lots of lots of others that are also cheap- you don't get better value than others in the same class.

To me value is getting much more than what is offered by competitors at the same or a lower price.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »
I just posted my views on the "bad value for money watch"
It applies in this thread as well,except turn it the other way round. :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »
I seriously have no idea to reply whenever this kinda "value" questions come up.
There is not set criteria and everyone's perception is totally different.

With that said, i still say its Seiko.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
Agree, best value for watches bought new from AD, should be Seiko, whether the common variety (Seiko 5, etc) or the GS in their respective price categories. In fact I still have a >20 year old Seiko diver (but only 34mm size), recently serviced, that still works fine! Cost only a fraction of my cheapest Rolex. ::)

Offline swleong

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »
In terms of (quality, durability, servicibility, resale value-ibility, general 'fame' recognition-ibility, heirloom-ibility, tauke-ibility) to money ratios........it must be ROLEX!

Offline el118

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »
In terms of (quality, durability, servicibility, resale value-ibility, general 'fame' recognition-ibility, heirloom-ibility, tauke-ibility) to money ratios........it must be ROLEX!

Agreed!

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »
I seriously have no idea to reply whenever this kinda "value" questions come up.
There is not set criteria and everyone's perception is totally different.

With that said, i still say its Seiko.

Agree X2...nothing beats a Seiko in terms of value for money
And "value" is a very vague term too, if I make RM 5,000 then $100 will be considered cheap for me
If I make RM 1,000, then $100 is a lot of money to me

DC